Sunday, April 19, 2015

It Really WAS Good!


So, when I was a kid I had this love for certain sandwiches. I ate one almost every day, when I got home from school. It was not your typical sandwich, mind you, but I looked forward to it!

Here’s the recipe: I got two pieces of Wonder Bread (white bread wasn’t vilified back in those days). I placed them side by side on a plate. My mouth was watering by this time! Then I would add the magic ingredients: four Oreo cookies, arranged just so! Placing one piece of bread on top, I had myself a meal, baby! That first bite was always so amazing! No need for condiments. The icing mixed perfectly with the lovely taste of chocolate cookie wafers and Wonder Bread. Doesn’t it just make your mouth giddy with anticipation?

Okay, okay…so in college, long after the days of my after-school treats, a thought occurred to me. "I do not have much money. Would an Oreo Cookie Sandwich would still be tasty? It certainly would be cheap and would last a long time…”

All I'd have to buy is one loaf of bread and a package of Oreos, so I tried it. By this time, health conscious people were at least trying to eat wheat bread. So I drove to the grocery store, reluctantly grabbed a loaf of wheat bread, hoping for the best. I snatched up a package of Oreo cookies and headed home for my experiment. On the drive home, I was already pretty hungry. I could not wait to taste my old friend, the Oreo Cookie Sandwich. “This is going to be awesome!” I thought expectantly.

I arrived home. I got out a plate. I placed two pieces of wheat bread on the plate. I then carefully placed the Oreo cookies. Placing the second piece of bread on top, I prepared for the first delectable bite. Oh my goodness! I was shocked! I cannot believe how utterly disgusting it tasted! I stopped myself from spitting it in the trash can, trying to give it some time to grow on me. After I swallowed it (gagging a bit), I looked at the sandwich and wondered, “What in the he** was I thinking?” Into the trash it flew! Ewww…never trust those childhood memories!

No comments:

Post a Comment