Thursday, April 9, 2015

Three Important Songs in my Life

One of the most meaningful songs in my life is, If I Could Fly.  “I’d pick you up and take you into the sky and show you love like you have never seen, ever seen.”  When I was a teenager, I used to listen to that song and it would make me wish for a love of my own.  It reminds me of a fairytale of a man riding to me in beautiful carriage with a white horse pulling it. This is a man who would care for me for the rest of my life.  I found out that this is not a realistic expectation in life.  However, it is a beautiful dream that I hold in my heart, especially having been adopted.  I have dreams of being rescued, and that song says it so well. I was rescued by my beautiful adoptive parents!

The second song that means a lot to me is, Sad Café by the Eagles.  "Oh, it seemed like a holy place, protected by amazing Grace, and we would sing right out loud, the things we could not say. We thought we could change this world with words like love and freedom, we were part of the lonely crowd inside the Sad Café."  When I first heard that song as a teenager, it described my yearning to break free from oppressive authority figures.  I had a need to express myself in a way that I could not put into words.  This song says it all for me, even today.   

The third song that means a lot in my life is At Last by Etta James.  Although, it speaks of love that is amazingly romantic but highly co-dependent, I love the idea of thinking, “At last, my love has come along, and my lonely days are over, and life is just a song …” That is what I want life to be- just a song! I realize that I can "make my own music" without anyone else to complete me-this is one of the greatest things that I have learned in my 48 years.  (Heck, I am a musician!) Nevertheless, the idea is still appealing!

No comments:

Post a Comment